Pages

Blog Archive

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Bergkamp fancies Arsenal's chances

Dennis Bergkamp believes Arsenal's title prospects
look "really good" and has likened the current side to
some of the great teams he played in.
The former Highbury hero spent 11 years at the club
and left shortly before the move to the Emirates
Stadium.
He won three Premier League titles and the FA Cup
on four occasions, but Arsenal have not landed a
trophy since his days pulling the strings in north
London.
Dutchman Bergkamp has been coaching at his first
club, Ajax, for several years but is playing close
attention to Arsenal this season, with Arsene
Wenger's team top of the table after seven rounds of
games.
"I see a lot of freshness in the team," Bergkamp said.
"I see a lot of things similar to my time at Arsenal.
"I see a lot of movement in the team, a lot of
commitment.
"They know what they want to do and they know how
they want to go forward."
Asked if they could win the Premier League,
Bergkamp said: "From this start, it looks really good.
"It's enjoyable to watch but it's effective as well."
Bergkamp reiterated a view he has stated previously:
that he has no plans to enter management.
"I don't see myself as a head coach. I don't see
myself as a manager," he told Sky Sports News.
"I see myself as part of a coaching staff, how I was
part of a team.
"I think I can drop back and let others take the lead
and just let me be part of that coaching staff and I'll
be happy."
He has made no secret of wishing for a return to
Arsenal, but it could be several years away.
"I'm settled in Holland," Bergkamp said. "I'm settled
at Ajax at the moment.
"We've started something that's by far not finished
yet so I'm looking forward to staying here for at least
a few years, but I have to admit in the future I would
love to work in England again and preferably at
Arsenal of course."
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

No comments:

Post a Comment